Thursday, March 4, 2010

New Mustang gets 31 mpg

So the new Mustang with V6 is supposedly the first 300+ horsepower car to get over 30mpg on the highway. I think I want a Ford more than I ever have before. This car will undoubtedly smoke my TransAm in a straight line or the twisties, all while getting gas mileage that will probably match my BMW? Maybe technology is moving forward. To be fair the new v6 Camaro is only rated at one or two less than this, but since it weighs 300 lbs or so more it's hard not to imagine that the Mustang won't be the better performer. Can't wait to see the Car and Driver shootout on that one. Anyways here's the link: 2011 Mustang

5 comments:

  1. Yes it's a cool car, and yes I'd buy one. To be fair I'd buy a 2010 Mustang. Or a 2009. As for it being better than your BMW and your Trans Am, it's about 20 grand more than both of those and 20 years newer. This is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you misunderstood my comments on the Mustang. Of course it's better than my old cars, I'm happy though to see, finally some significant progress in terms of performance without sacrificing gas mileage. Maybe it is just the passage of time, but the Mustang has shot forward from being a technology laggard, with a V6 that belonged in the '90s to being genuinely near the top of the heap. The sad part, is that the Camaro probably would have claimed this honor if it wasn't so porky. Of course the even sadder part is that I'm pretty certain most of the technology to make this possible already existed 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. what about the corvette? i suppose the mustang represents the trickle-down of such simple technology as very tall overdrives... now if they'd just give the mustang an independent rear suspension, my last reservations would vanish

    ReplyDelete
  5. Touché. But the Corvette is arguably the exception not the rule. A 335i has a six speed and 305hp from a smaller turboed engine and ultimately does not get as good of gas mileage as the Mustang.

    ReplyDelete